Dating Jesus



Now that summer has started I am officially in what you would call a "long distance relationship". And I hate it.

I don't hate my boyfriend. It's nothing like that. I hate the distance. I'd much rather be back in school─yes, doing homework─and living a short block away from him. We are currently 200 miles apart, and in less than a week we'll be 1,200 miles apart. [Come late August he'll be studying abroad─Google maps wouldn't even calculate that distance for mebut I'll wait until then to tackle that bullet.]

We're both new to this whole long distance thing, and we're still trying to find what works best for us.


Some people want to talk every day. [I am one of those people.] Some people are okay if they only talk once a week. [My boyfriend is one of those people.] So you can see how this would potentially be a problem.


After departing one another for the summer, we each had our own idea of how our communication would play out. Let me tell you─we were not on the same page.



After a few days without formal conversation, I wanted to know what was up. I had assumed we'd talk occasionally throughout the week. After talking with Cole [that would be my main man, for those who don't know], I came to find he thought we had agreed to talk on Sunday nights. Only Sunday nights. [I give him credit. He likes to plan ahead and be organized.] We text hello every morning and goodnight every evening, sure. But I wanted more than that.  Selfishly, I wanted more than what he was offering.

My initial thought, whether it be valid or not, was that if we were truly to be in relationship with one another, then we were to be in ongoing communication with one another. [With respect paid to personal space and family time and all that of course.] We were to have conversations, to share our highs and our lows. I personally didn't want just a long distance get-together on Sunday and a few good mornings and good nights in between.


And then it hit me.


Is this how Jesus feels?

Is this how He feels when I go to church, get my hour of Sunday worship in, and go back home, leaving Him and all things spiritual behind? Is this how He feels when I mumble a prayer before bed or right before a meal?

Jesus wants to be in relationship with us. He wants more than a one time deal on Sunday and a few jumbled phrases throughout the week. He doesn't need communication from us─no. God is Father of all and Creator of all. He doesn't NEED anything from us. He could continue about His merry way and all would be well. The earth would continue to spin. God would continue to hold His mighty power. However, I truly do believe that He WANTS this relationship with us.

Our Father in heaven, the One who sent his Son to die for our sins─He loves us. He wants to be in relationship with us.


He deserves so much more than the bare minimum we are offering.


And all this has got me thinking. What would change if I approached my relationship with Christ as I've been approaching my dating relationship? If I intentionally sought conversation and prayer with the Lord every single day?

There's this cheesy thing I've seen around the internet for years now. I'd bet most any Christian young adult has heard it before. Any adolescent girl who's read any sort of Christian devotional or magazine has heard the phrase. Dating Jesus. [Cheesy, I know.] But there's truth to it, isn't there?

If we were intentional to have ongoing conversations with the Lord, seeking to share with Him our highs and our lows, image the internal and external change that would happen. Internally in our relationship with Christ and externally in our relationship with others.

I'm not saying that to focus on Jesus you should avoid all other relationships, that's not what I'm trying to get across. I truly believe we've been created for community and fellowship. The Lord made Eve so that Adam wouldn't be alone. He has placed family, friends, and several other "random" individuals around us so that we might come to be in relationship with them. Invest in those relationships, yes. But don't let the One relationship you can always trust to lean on falter.

Offer up what you have to the Lord. He wants to hear from you. He wants to be in relationship with you.

My friends, He deserves so much more than what we are offering.



[Additional note: Though Cole and I are wired differently when it comes to long-distance communication, I love him no less than before. Relationships are all about compromise kids, put that one down in the record book. Miscommunication happens and expectations, which are very dangerous to create, aren't met. Conversations are had and different approaches are introduced. This is what's called patience and commitment. It's not always smooth rolling, but I must say, it's worth it. Thanks for the last 8 months Cole. I love you.]







[Interested in reading more? Check out the Blog Archive to the right to find links to my other posts.]

If you liked this post, you might like...
Don't Tell Me You're Not Beautiful
A Letter To The Girl Who Feels Lonely
18 Things I've Learned From My Mother In My 18 Years Of Life
My Little Brother (An Appreciation Post)


Like the post? Have a question for me? Express your thoughts in the comment section below, I'd love to hear from you! Think your friends might like it? Feel free to share the post with others by clicking on one of the social media icons below.

Comments

Popular Posts