My Little Brother (An Appreciation Post)

In the spirit of Christmas, and caring and sharing, and the celebration of Jesus' birth, I thought I'd take some time to celebrate another special individual in my life─my brother Matthew.

Now that it's Christmas break, we've been seeing a lot of each other. College has a way of taking up your time, you know? Even though we know how to punch one another's buttons (maybe me more than him), I'm learning to cherish the time because my breaks at home won't be this long forever.

Here's to you, little brother.


Thank you for going along with my ideas, no matter how crazy they seemed.



There's something about being the oldest child that, well─has its perks.
As many younger siblings know, the "alpha wolf", so to speak, has a big say in what happens next. Sometimes my ideas were a little crazy, other times they simply weren't what you would've picked, but you went along with them anyway. When I wanted to swing on the swings, you agreed. When I wanted to play with barbies, we played with barbies. And when I insisted that we play the Strawberry Shortcake board game every single night, that's what we did.



Thank you for letting me carry you well into elementary school.



I know Mom wanted you to be independent, and I know you were fully capable of walking on your own, but I just couldn't let go. And you were okay with that. You were my little baby, and you knew it. You let me put together bubble bathsjust for fun. You let me style your hair, and pick out your clothes, and sometimes you'd even let me put you to bed. I guess you could say motherhood came early for me─in a way. At least I didn't have to change your diapers.




Thank you for teaching me to share.





Let me rephrase: thank you for forcing me to share. The only child for three years, I was living large. I had it all, you know? Then you came into the picture and suddenly I had to share my lap space. I didn't get to pick the movie every time. No longer was all attention directed at me─what was mine was yours. I came to realize that it wasn't all about me. And I suppose I'm still learning that.



Thank you for making me laugh.




Sometimes your jokes are a little weird, but you know what? Sometimes mine are a little weird, too. A life without laughter is─well, it's really not fun at all. So thanks for giving me a reason to smile.



Thank you for accepting me.



No doubt you thought I was crazy. No doubt you still think I'm crazy─I am. But thank you for accepting me. You really learn a lot about a person when you live with them. You saw all my colors─the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm sorry to say that not all my moments have been beautiful. But thank you for being gracious, thank you for extending patience. I never had to put up a front for you, because─well, because you're my little brother, and I suppose I always knew you'd be there for me.



Thank you for being my pal.





You're the friend I've always had. From day one I was ecstatic to finally have a little buddy. Mom says that for the first few weeks of having you home I would run up to people at church and yell "Hey! Hey you! Come over here and see my baby!" What can I say? I was excited to have a pal of my own. We've had our rough spots, as have every siblings ever, but that didn't matteryou always forgave. Even when I sat on you and took your toys, you still wanted to play with me. Even when I pushed you around and bribed you with candy, you never left. Though I suppose you didn't really have a choice. But thank you anyway. You'll forever be my forever friend.



[Interested in reading more? Check out the Blog Archive to the right to find links to my other posts.]

Comments

Popular Posts