5 Pros & Cons of Long Hair


As of today, my hair is the longest it has ever been. Like─ever. I'm serious. So in honor of these long locks that I am proud to call my own, I thought I'd dedicate a post to sharing five pros and cons of living with long hair.


Pro 1) I can play with my hair whenever I want.

I don't know why, but I'm someone who needs to be doing something at all times. It doesn't have to be anything exciting─I'm not saying I need to go out and about to do something─I just need to keep myself occupied. This could be as simple as typing on the computer, chewing gum, playing with a pencil, or playing with my hair.


Con 1) It tends to gets stuck in the most unfortunate of places.

For example: the car door, the zipper of my coat, the hands of whoever I'm hugging, anything with any remote sense of static electricity, behind my backpack, between my back and the chair, and especially in beards.

My boyfriend has a beard.

Imagine if you will what it might be like every time we give each other a hug.
What can I say─we've got a strong connection. Literally.


Pro 2) It's basically a built-in thermal blanket for my head.

This is especially helpful in the winter. Who needs to wear a hat when you have hair? Saving money people, saving money.


Con 2) I find long hairs ALL over the place.

To top it off, I'm living in a dorm that houses almost 300 other women. So not only am I finding my own hair, but that of several others. Oh, and my roommate just got a haircut, so now we can be positive that the really long ones are in fact mine.



Pro 3) My hair really isn't that frizzy anymore.

I don't know if this is because my hair's long enough that the extra weight weighs it down or what. Completely a hypothesis here, so don't quote me on any of this as the truth.

I like to think my curls are a little more defined with long hair too. When shorter it was mainly just waves. Well, waves and frizz.



Con 3) It's really easy to get food stuck in my hair.

I'm serious. Sometimes I'll bend over when I'm setting my plate on the table, or when I'm laughing, or leaning over to talk with someone, and BOOM─instant contact with the food and the hair. In those instances I can only hope it's not something like peanut butter. Not really the best combo if you ask me.



Pro 4) I'm pretty much a walking form of entertainment.

Not only can I play with my hair, but my friends can too! I don't know what it is about long hair, but people just like to play with it. (On a side note, this doesn't always lean to the positive side. If a friend pulls or yanks, that's a no go. And if it's not a friend─that's just weird, don't let that happen.)



Con 4) It takes a long time to shampoo and condition all that hair.

Buuuuut I'm not really complaining because (if the water's warm) I love showers. On top of that, I have noticed that I go through shampoo and conditioner quite a bit faster with long hair than short, meaning I have to make purchases a little more frequently. On a college budget, you might think this would persuade me to cut my hair. But that's okay, I'm willing to make a few sacrifices for the sake of my long & luscious locks.



Pro 5) My hair is much more likely to blow in the breeze.

However, beware of windy days. Sometimes my hair might start gracefully blowing in the breeze just to come back full force and hit me square in the face. When you have to hold it back just so you can see to walk straight, you might not come to appreciate it very much. But you have to look past it, you know? There are positives and negatives with any relationship. Just as people have their bad moments, your hair can have it's bad moments too. Be prepared, because they do happen. (Unless your hair is less than an inch long, in which case I say those bad hair days are probably a pretty rare sighting.)



Con 5) It takes FOREVER for my hair to dry.

This is especially inconvenient in the winter. I prefer showering in the morning so I don't have to sleep on wet hair, but this doesn't always pair well with the freezing air temps. You can see how this might be a problem when I have to walk from building to building for class.

One of the many conundrums that remains about my hair is that some days it's dry within the hour, and other days sections of it are still wet a good four or five hours after showering. How this happens is yet a mystery to me, but if you have any guesses, feel free to let me know.




[Interested in reading more? Check out the Blog Archive to the right to find links to my other posts.]


If you liked this post, you might like...
Dating Jesus
A Letter to the Girl Who Feels Lonely
What Motivates You To Do What You Do?
An Open Letter To Eight Year Old Me
Curly Hair, I Am Sorry I Have Not Always Loved You



Like the post? Have a question for me? Express your thoughts in the comment section below, I'd love to hear from you! Think your friends might like it? Feel free to share the post with others by clicking on one of the social media icons below.

Comments

  1. I completely agree with ALL of these. Especially at school, my hair gets stuck on the small metal round bits holding the chair together. It really hurts when you lean forward or stand up. When I walk to the bus stop my mom always tells me to wear a hat and I just tell her my hair keeps me warm :)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts