Sleep. It is a Beautiful Thing.

I realized some pretty important stuff this week.

1) Sleep is actually important─like really important.
Sorry Dad, you were right (this time).

2) Don't go to bed after midnight when you have class at 7:45 the next day.
Let me be more specific─don't do this every single night. It's a bad idea my friends. Bad idea.

3) A giraffe only needs 2 hours of sleep a night.
Why can't I be a giraffe?

The funny thing with all of this is that we just started a new chapter in my Psychology class about sleep and the effects of sleep loss. In case you so desired to know, not only do sleep-deprived students function below their peak, but sleep deprivation affects our immune system as well. Leading on to my next point...

4) It is quite possible to get sick from lack of sleep.
And then you don't feel good, and you have to go in for a check-up, and you have to miss part of class, and you have to pick-up some drugs, and you have to take those drugs 3 times a day. Moral of the story─SLEEP.

[Note: This may not be the case for everyone. Who knows, maybe I'm the exception. My mother always told me I was a special child.]

5) Naps are a gift from the Lord.
When in college, if you have the opportunity to take a nap─DO IT. Those opportunities are few and limited. When the day's all said and done, I don't want to have to carry around the burden of knowing that I could've taken that nap after class. Don't live with that kind of regret people. Don't do it to yourself.

6) Some people thrive with 5 hours of sleep a night.
I am not one of those people.


Long story short, I have come to appreciate the effects of a full night's sleep. Late nights and early mornings don't work as well as peanut butter and jelly. They don't necessarily compliment one another so well. To understand this fact is one thing, but to actually experience it─that is something else entirely.


Sleep is a beautiful thing my friends─it is a beautiful thing.



Comments

Popular Posts