School's Coming To A Close And Summer 2016 Is On It's Way

Summer's coming up fast─like really fast.

Seriously though, where did the time go? I moved on to campus eight months ago, and in a few short weeks I'll be moving out.

This school year has been amazing. Relationships, conversations, life in the dorms, the campus community─everything. It's been amazing. I'll miss the people here, that's for sure. But when August rolls around I'll be back on campus and back with those I love. (With the exception of a certain someone who has decided to study abroad in Romania first semester.)

Until then, once summer begins, we'll all be off in our own little worlds. Some will head back home, some will serve overseas, and some will start internships. There are so many opportunities for summer employment and service that I couldn't possibly attempt to list them all.

So Jamie...what are you doing this summer?
Oh, how nice of you to ask.

This summer I'll be living on-site and working at Mescalero Reformed Church in Mescalero, New Mexico. 


The story really starts 3 years ago.


In July of 2013, the summer after my sophomore year of high school, my parents made the daring decision to do what few parents at the time had the courage to do. They packed me, along with 13 other teenagers, into a 15 passenger van with one brand-spankin' new youth pastor. (Who knows, the guy could have been a lunatic. Spoiler: he wasn't. Well, not too crazy.)

We then set out, all 15 of us, for Mescalero, New Mexico. And I had the best mission trip of my life.

This trip grew me exponentially. For the first time, I learned what it meant to engage with others far beyond the surface. I learned the art of hospitality and what it means to make others feel welcome in your interactions, your words, and your body language. I learned that stories connect, that they share with others the heart and soul of who we are. And in learning to tell stories, I learned to listen with my eyesI came to truly realize the difference between hearing and listening.




The trip lasted 10 days and we were in Mescalero for about a week. It was a week full of laughter, learning, reflective time with the Lord, and several blessed interactions with the people of Mescalero.

Man oh man how I wish I had journaled my experience. I can't give honest detail to every little thing we did, but here are a few examples of what we were able to do:

-play basketball at the church with some of the local kids every afternoon
-enjoy evening dinners with the youth of the church/community
-host 2 vacation Bible camps (one at the church & one in the community)
-participate in nightly worship services with the youth of the church/community
-engage in honest & reflective conversation with the staff of the church
-go sledding down the white sands of White Sands National Monument
-celebrate at an Apache Sunrise Ceremony
-experience church with the people of Mescalero Reformed Church
-grow with the members of our team who quickly became like family


Just hanging out at White Sands National Monument.



The landscape down in New Mexico is beyond beautiful.




Prepping for a night of worship.

Eventually the week came to a close, we reluctantly packed our bags, and we left. 

I don't anticipate any of us truly wanted to leave. I was glad to see my family again, yes─but there was much I missed about Mescalero. There's much I still miss about Mescalero. There were many friendships I left back in Mescalero, many eye-opening experiences and moments of revelation, that I can't help but miss all that happened that week.


And in a few short weeks, I'll be going back.

[Writing that down makes it all the more real.]

The Lord opened an opportunity to me back in December, and after prayerful consideration and conversations with those I trust, I chose to take the open door. I'll be heading down late May and arriving back home sometime early August.

I know this trip won't be like the last. It'll be longer, that's for sure. But there's more to it than that. I was beyond spoiled to have experienced such a life-changing trip to Mescalero in July of 2013. But I have to remind myself that not every trip is the same. Even going to the same place, it won't be the same. The packed 15 passenger van I went with─they aren't coming. The staff at the church has changed. Even the people, I'm sure they have grown and changed, as have I.

The trip will be different, yes. But that doesn't make it any less exciting. Change can be good. New opportunities and experiences pave the way for both growth and maturity beyond what the eye can see.


So there's the big announcement my friends.


This summer I'll be living life with the Mescalero Apaches, serving and worshiping the God who continues to amaze me.


I'm sure there are many more stories I could share, many more details I could give you of my plans, but I don't want to keep you reading this blog of mine ALL night─do I? Long story short, I'm excited. I'm excited to once again be with the people, and to first-hand see what God has in store for me at Mescalero Reformed Church this summer.


A view of the church from the basketball court.






[Interested in reading more? Check out the Blog Archive to the right to find links to my other posts.]


If you liked this post, you might like...
Haiti: Part 1
Hear The Call Of The Kingdom
Why Am I So Passionate About This?
A Letter To The Girl Who Feels Lonely
What Motivates You To Do What You Do?


Like the post? Have a question for me? Express your thoughts in the comment section below, I'd love to hear from you! Think your friends might like it? Feel free to share the post with others by clicking on one of the social media icons below.

Comments

Popular Posts