An Open Letter to Eight Year Old Me

Hey you.

How's life been treating you? Have you lost any teeth lately? Did you clean your room like Mom and Dad asked?

This might be hard for you to believe right now, but you─me─WE are in college right now. Wanna guess what we chose? Yep, that's right. We stayed in town. We packed up and traveled the long road (five blocks) to Northwestern. Couldn't stay away, huh?

I know you've got trees to climb, games to play, and barbies to play with, so I'm gonna try to make this short. But with the time we're given, I want to let you know a few things.


Please know my dear that you are loved. You are oh so very loved. I'll be honest─sometimes people are mean. It hurts, I know. But please, please don't allow one lone opinion to control your life. Please don't let it influence even a single day of your life. You've got family and friends who cherish you, people who love you because you are you

With that said, you don't have to change for anyone. Not a single person. Don't try to fit in, don't try and be someone you're not. You're a creative girl, Jamie. You don't fit into the mold of "A", or the mold of "Z". You fit into your own skin. So own it.

By the wayyou've got a great smile, you know that? Use it. Don't be afraid to smile at a stranger just for the sake of smiling. You'll come to find out soon that even the simplest of smiles can change your outlook on the whole day. The thing about smiling is that it's universal. It allows you to communicate with just about anyone from any culture or language.

In addition to that smile of yours, I want you to know that you are beautiful. Listen to me Jamie─you are a beautiful girl. You were created by God after all, the Maker of beautiful things. Please don't forget that. Eventually you'll realize the true beauty found in individuality, and you'll come to see beauty where you didn't before. Until then, know that beauty extends beyond what is seen. It's a hard concept to grasp, I know. But once you figure this out, I'm telling youyour whole perspective will change.

On that note, there is no such thing as perfection. No matter what society tells you, there is no such thing as the perfect body. Strive to have a healthy body. A body that's able to run, and to climb, and to march 6 miles in the Rose Bowl Parade. (Just you wait girl, there's a lot you've got to look forward to.) Please know that you don't have to do anything to fit any "standards" set before you. Be comfortable with who you are and where you're at. While living on this earth you'll never be perfect, and that's okay. Jesus is perfect. End of story.

Speaking of Jesus─look around. Look at what he's blessed you with. You've got a family that loves you. Let them know that you love them. Treat them with respect, and come on─let your brother pick the game next time─he doesn't want to play house every.single.time.

In concluding, I want you to know that you've got gifts girl. Maybe it doesn't seem like it now, but in time you'll discover those gifts and oh my goodness─it's gonna be amazing. You'll be surprised, that's for sure. But I'm not going to spoil anything. I waited patiently, so I think you can too. Just know that once you discover those gifts you've been provided, you'll get a pretty good idea of how to use them to benefit God's kingdom.

Well Jamie─that's all for now. I'll let you get back to playing with whatever you happen to come across this time. No promises when I'll write again. Life's a bit busy now, you know? But don't worry about that yet, you've got a lot of life ahead of you. There's a lot to look forward totrust me on that─there's a lot to look forward to.



l guess I really haven't changed that much.



[Interested in reading more? Check out the Blog Archive to the right to find links to my other posts.]


If you liked this post, you might like...
Don't Tell Me You're Not Beautiful
Dating Jesus
A Letter to the Girl Who Feels Lonely
Curly Hair, I Am Sorry I Have Not Always Loved You
5 Pros & Cons Of Long Hair


Like the post? Have a question for me? Express your thoughts in the comment section below, I'd love to hear from you! Think your friends might like it? Feel free to share the post with others by clicking on one of the social media icons below.

Comments

Popular Posts