Packing Up & Moving Out! (Sorta)




Well my friends, it's official.


In less than a week I'll be sleeping in a new bed, living in a new room, and─oh yeah─meeting a LOT of new people.

That's right, college is just around the corner! (Literally. Campus is only a few blocks away from my house.) Pretty close to home, but still exciting, nonetheless.


Because the commute is a short two minutes, (assuming you hit all the green lights) I've convinced myself that packing really isn't too big of a priority. Because if I forget something─if I forget anything─I can just run home (literally) and grab it.

So I can't really say everything's all packed up yet, or even all set out and organized, but when it comes to the bulk of what I'll be needing, I'd say I'm pretty good to go.

At the beginning of the summer I started a little collection of dorm room essentials in the corner of my bedroom. Now I've got myself a fairly decent stockpile.


Here's what I'm bringing:

(Okay, you got me, this isn't everything I'm bringing. Mostly just essentials.)

laptop
I'm thinking this is going to be pretty important.

backpack
It's a nice new backpack, courtesy of my wonderful mother, with a bulletproof pouch to keep my laptop safe.

mattress pad
Mom and I took a little "road trip" a few weeks back to check out my dorm room, and let's just say the bed wasn't the comfiest thing I've ever laid on. (I would like to say that it was broad daylight when we walked in, and we passed at least three cleaners, one of which who said hello, so I wouldn't classify this as breaking and entering. However, to my nameless friend who stopped by in the middle of the night─don't worry, your secret is safe with me.)

comforter, sheets, pillows
I think that goes without saying.

laundry basket
Looks like it's time to start doing my own laundry.

mini fridge
I got this bad boy back in May for $25. A pretty nice deal, if I do say so myself. I just hope it works.

coffee maker (with mugs & to-go thermos)
I spent a good 3 hours
painting that mug in
Seabrook, WA this summer.
Best $23 I ever spent.
A 12 cup coffee maker, to be exact. 
I got this one free at after prom─YES.

single-serve blender
Who knows when I'll be craving a smoothie? The jar is portable, so if I make a smoothie for breakfast I can just grab it and go to class. The portability is really nice, because on Tuesday and Thursday my first class is at 7:45am. Woo hoo.

bowls, plates, eating utensils
Can't eat cereal out of my water bottle.

clip-on bedside lamp
I'm thinking this'll come in handy at 3am when I'm still doing homework. (Hopefully this isn't the case. Just trying to think realistically here.)




The (almost) completed
giraffe.
one handmade piece of giraffe art for the wall
Just to spruce the place up a bit, you know? The walls are a bit...white. But hey, it's a great motivator for me to get some creativity going.

shower caddy
I need something to hold all those beauty products of mine! (Okay, mostly just shampoo and conditioner. Oh yes, and toothpaste. Can't forget the toothpaste.)

two lounge chairs (with pillow & throw)
You know─to do my lounging on.

...clothes
Thought I was gonna forget those, did ya? Technically these aren't set out yet, but I'm working on it. My parents have blessed me with a large closet, which I am truly grateful for, but that just makes the downsize even more drastic.


Well there you have it─everything currently covering the floor of my bedroom, minus those lovely textbooks I paid all that good money for. 

Looks like I've got a little ways to go, but I'm sure that by the end of the week I'll have everything pulled together. Now to start packing all those clothes.





[Interested in reading more? Check out the Blog Archive to the right to find links to my other posts.]


If you liked this post, you might like...
The Pros & Cons of Living In a Dorm Room
What It's Like To Go To College In Your Hometown
Is My First Semester of College Really Over?
College: Week 1
What It's Like To Have The Worst Roommate Ever 




Like the post? Have a question for me? Express your thoughts in the comment section below, I'd love to hear from you! Think your friends might like it? Feel free to share the post with others by clicking on one of the social media icons below.

Comments

Popular Posts