Holland Road Trip: Part 2


For those who read Holland Road Trip: Part 1 and have been agonizing for the past few days over whether we made it home safely...we did!

The car ride seemed much longer on the way back home than it did out to Hollandhowever, it was filled with lots of good sights, lots of good food, and lots of good conversation.

Okay, so the whole weekend was filled with lots of good stuff.


There were several key aspects that made the weekend so great.


1) Sunsets.
Saturday night was great for two reasons: the sunset & homemade pizza. After exploring for a bit downtown, the four of us─Alli, Ashley, Taylor, and I─hopped in the car and made our way down to the beach at Holland State Park to watch the sunset. It was windy and a little bit chilly, BUT it was definitely worth it.





2) Homemade food.
Homemade pizza. Homemade ham & cheese chowder. Homemade crepes with fresh fruit. Homemade apple crisp. Homemade apple pie. Each main dish made by a different member of Alli's family. The crazy thing is that they didn't even know they'd have four extra mouths to feed, but there were always leftovers! (I have a growing suspicion that a certain grocery trip may have been made while the four of us were downtown on Saturday afternoon. It's a mystery that will remain unsolved─you know, unless I ask them. I suppose that's a plausible solution.)


3) Walks in the woods.
So I really wasn't wearing what you might consider hiking clothes, or even any shoes that would be considered remotely acceptable while hiking, but you make work with what you have. 

On Monday we went to visit Alli's aunt, who just so happens to live in one of the cutest little houses in one of the cutest little locations. It literally was over the hill and through the woods, but sadly we weren't going to grandmother's house. However, Grandma Bonnie was definitely there─with a warm, welcoming hug and nice big pan of blueberry coffee cake on the side. (Glad I could finally meet you Grandma Bonnie!)

The house usually doesn't get an internet connection, if that gives you any indication of how secluded it is from the city. And the cell phone reception isn't that strong out there either, but we decided to venture out anyway! (Some a little more eager than others.) 

Good thing we didn't get lost on the hike, huh mom?


So on our hike, there was this river (okay, this little creek) and I definitely did not want to get my boots wet.

Knitted boots + water = not happy Jamie.

However, it turns out I didn't need to worry, because I have great friends who are always watching out for me, always willing to cross first, and always willing to hold my hand. (Now I'm not gonna say they didn't laugh at me, and I'm not gonna say I didn't laugh with them, but eventually we all made it successfully across the creek.)





4) Laughter.
Oh my goodness people─laughter all the time. But I mean what can I say, you get a group of four lively college girls together and it's really inevitable. (Please note the photo below and you'll understand.)



(Ladies and gentlemen─I present to you Alli and Ashley attempting to spin on the dock.)

5) Shopping!
I haven't gone shopping SINCE SCHOOL STARTED. (Again, I'm only kidding. It's probably a good thing I haven't been shopping since then.) However, I can appreciate a good shopping trip when given the opportunity, right?

6) Corn.
Apparently it's not socially acceptable to eat corn as a snack, or so I've been told. I learned that the hard way this weekend. What you have to understand is that I love corn, and there was corn in the fridge, so I did what any logical person would do and took the opportunity in front of me to help myself to a nice bowl of corn.

7) Sunrises!
Yep, we got to watch both the sunset and the sunrise. We woke early on Monday, bundled ourselves up, and drove the 15 minute route to our lookout point. Then we climbed exactly 238 stairs to get the best view at the top of the hill. I realized something that day─I am out. of. shape. Climbing stairs is hard work! We actually met a few people who were climbing the stairs for exercise that morning─but
they were huffing and puffing too─so maybe I'm really not that out of shape. 

The amazing thing I've come to find about sunsets and sunrises is how fast the process goes. If you're looking down at your phone for too long you'll probably miss it. One minute you can't see much more than a few light beams, and the next you've got the full outline of the sun. 

We stood up at the top deck of the stairway for awhile, each one of us sipping from our thermos of tea, watching the sunrise over Lake Mac from the east and the waves of Lake Michigan from the west. If you haven't done something like that for awhile, whether it be watching the sunrise or simply taking a few moments to look at all the natural beauty around you, I would highly recommend it. I'm telling you, it was a great start to an even greater day.

8) Sunday.
Sunday was filled with a whole lot of Jesus and a whole lot of goodness. Therefore, I believe it deserves a blog post of its own. Originally I thought I'd be able to sum up my day in a few short paragraphs. Nope. That's simply not possible. I invite you all to check back later for further updates.

9) Tea & Rolls.
I can safely say that we each drank tea at least three times a day in Holland. Well, either tea or coffee.

We also helped ourselves to one...two...well─A FEW Rhodes rolls throughout the weekend. (I mean, I suppose it all just depends on what you classify as a few.) All in all, I'd say we easily conquered at least 30 between the four of us. Shout out to Taylor for taking one or two (fifteen) for the team.

10) Conversation.
So many good conversations. Serious stuff, funny stuff, random stuff─we had it all. Talks in the car, around the kitchen counter, late at night, early in the morning, on a random log in the woods, in a coffee shop downtown─you get the idea.

[Once again─photo creds to the lovely Ashley. I suppose they make up for the detour to Panera Bread.]

Comments

Popular Posts